Wednesday, December 2, 2015

With Every Breath He Takes

Author: Milin Huang
Project: Photojournalism
Date: December 01, 2015









Talmadge Bryan was born on a small island off the coast of Nicaragua, by the name of Corn Island, to an English-speaking community at the height of the Great Depression in 1934.  As a boy, he studied hard in his native Corn Island, and when he completed all the classes offered there, he moved to Bluefields, a city on the eastern coast of Nicaragua, to continue his education.  A motivated student, he had a fascination with subjects such as Physical Science, Literature, and Music.  His hard work during is formative years reflected very well on him, and he was invited to study Mechanical Engineering at a vocational school in London.
"I'm very old now, my face is full of wrinkles."
"But I am still happy, because music makes me smile, and I can share it with others."
Between him and his four siblings, Talmadge was the only one who ever studied abroad.  His time in London was spent studying and learning new cultures and meeting people from around the world.  It was at this time that he began to develop an interest in international politics and languages. He picked up some Russian, and although he never achieved fluency, he continued to look for ways to practice. By putting his mechanical engineering to good use, Talmadge learned to configure his radio to pick up signals from all over the world, and he would excitedly show others that he was broadcasting news reports from far off places such as Germany, China, and Russia.


"Since my hands tremble and shake, I need to practice again and again."

"And my wife hears me from the other room and joins me to sing our music together."

"Sometimes I like to sit down and enjoy my family and friends making music."

"But other times the music fills me with the energy to dance!"

"I can no longer wait! I must join them and play!"

While still young, Talmadge developed an ear for music, and became proficient in both the keyboard and the organ.  He often played at church and always aspired to eventually become a choir director.  His dream came true after moving back to Nicaragua, where he met his wife Dina, marrying her in 1957.  Together, they directed their local church choir and performed many hymns.  Talmadge and Dina had five children together, Dina, Talmadge, Susan, Sandy, and Pablo, who all inhereted their parents love for God and music.









"Finally, the day has arrived."

"Together, with my daughter who carries my music..."


"...and my incredible wife..."
No longer working, Talmadge spends his days surrounding himself with the music that he grew up with.  Talmadge has embraced the latest technology to find new music to practice and read on his Apple iPad.  He continues to perform at church, and keeps his life busy researching new music, singing with his wife and family, and religiously watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy on television.





















































No comments:

Post a Comment